Pages

Wednesday 4 December 2013

Creamy Kale Salad


I've had a bunch of organic kale that I bought on impulse sitting in the fridge for a few days, and I haven't really been sure what to do with it. Up until I went to my favourite organic cafe and tried their marinated kale salad, that is! I love that salad so much, but at $10 a pop, I can't afford to keep buying it. So I decided to recreate it myself! I can hardly believe how easy it is to create such a divine salad that is so wonderfully nutritious. The kale provides a good dose of fibre, vitamins, and calcium, while the avocado is a fantastic source of oleic acid and yet more fibre! The almonds pack a punch of protein and the citrus amps up the vitamin C.

Creamy Kale Salad
Serves 2-4

For the salad:  
  • 1 bunch kale, stems removed
  • 1/2 cup almonds
  • 1 tbsp avocado oil
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon 
For the dressing:
  • 1 avocado
  • 4 tbsp tahini
  • 4-8 tbsp water
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup 
  • 2 tbsp coriander
  • 1 tsp cumin 
  • Himalayan sea salt and pepper, to taste
Method:
  1. Tear up the kale by hand into bite-sized pieces into a large bowl. 
  2. Massage the oil and lemon juice through the kale for about five minutes, or until softened. 
  3. Add almonds. 
  4. To make the dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Adjust amount of water you add depending on how thick you like it. 
  5. Pour the dressing over the kale and almond mixture and mix through well (I find it easiest to do this with my hands). 
  6. Enjoy the creamy, crunchy, delicious perfection that is this salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment